One of the oldest advertising firms in the Northwest Florida region, Appleyard Agency was established by John and Eleanor Appleyard in 1959 — the year of Pensacola’s Quadricentennial celebration, which John helped coordinate at the state level.
The Agency’s first office, a humble building on South Palafox, was often mistaken for a bar by workers at the nearby port. Advertising firms were somewhat new to the area. Television spots were done live, radio spots cost less than a dollar, and newspaper ads were done on linotype machines.
As Pensacola grew, so did Appleyard. We were the first agency to offer in-house recording studios and television spot production on film, and the first of our kind to offer full-service advertising.
Dick Appleyard joined the Agency in 1974 and became its president in 1987. He took his passion for retail advertising and customer satisfaction and moved the Agency to a new level. Over the years, the Agency has added services and personnel to meet the needs of its growing list of clients, which includes more than 50 local, regional and national businesses.
Today the Agency does over $10 million in gross annual billings and is recognized as a regional leader. We work closely with clients large and small and customize our services to meet specific goals.